In 1932, Redeemer Lubbock became a chartered congregation of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, making it the first LCMS church in Lubbock.
The original church stood on 19th Street and Avenue R. In 1937, Redeemer Lubbock and Redeemer Abernathy consolidated, expanding the presence of the LCMS in Lubbock.
The current church at Avenue W and 22nd Street was designed by architect James Atcheson in 1942. Construction began on June 12, 1949 when the cornerstone carved by Claude Elliott, was laid. In 1962, the parish hall was built by Ludwig Teinert. All were members of Redeemer.
In 1939, Redeemer established a young people’s society based at the Lutheran Student Center, which became a ministry to Texas Tech students. Redeemer planted two other LCMS churches: Christ Lutheran church in 1954 and Hope Lutheran church and school in 1989.
In 2010, under the leadership of Pastor Brian Dupre, chairman Walter Norman, and the elders, Redeemer was designated as a City of Lubbock Historic Landmark.City of Lubbock Historic Landmark plaque inscription